Back to Top
Civil Name Changes

Folsom Civil Name Change Lawyer

How Do I Legally Change My Name in California?

If you want to change your name or your child’s name on government-issued identification documents – such as your driver’s license, identification card, passport, or social security card – you will need to obtain a court order and, thereafter, a certified copy of the decree changing the name.

Person changing their nameThe basic process consists of:

  • Filling out the forms
  • Reviewing them
  • Making at least two copies of all of your forms and filing with the clerk of the court
  • Publishing the request to change your or your child’s name (i.e. Placing in the newspaper)
  • Attending one hearing and getting your decree changing your or your child’s name

If you are seeking legal guidance as you request a civil name change, count on the Law Office of Tiffany L. Andrews, P.C. Our name change attorneys in Folsom have extensive experience with the paperwork, documentation, and processes required for a name change request.

Contact us at (916) 794-4576 to learn more or to discuss your case during a consultation.

Changing Your Birth Certificate

Once your name has been changed, you can have your birth certificate updated accordingly. There are specific steps you must undertake to change a birth certificate once an adult or minor child’s name has been changed, however, it is possible – and the Law Office of Tiffany L. Andrews, P.C. can help.

Name Change Request Denials

Technically, the court has the right to deny your request to change your name. However, unless you are attempting to change your name to commit fraud, hide from the police or, for some other unlawful reason, it is unlikely they will deny your request.

Changing Gender

You have the right to change your gender on your personal identification documents. In California, you do not need a court decree to change your gender on things like your license, identification, passport, or social security card. You DO need to obtain a court order though if you are trying to change your gender AND your name in order to amend your birth certificate.

Have questions? Want to get started on your case? Contact us online or call (916) 794-4576 today.

Client Testimonials

We're Here to Help You Through This Difficult Time in Your Life
  • I am very lucky to have Tiffany Andrews as my attorney!

    “Tiffany Andrews is highly professional and knowledgable attorney. I am very pleased with the results.”

    - kvitkoolga
  • Amazing Family Law Attorney!

    “I would strongly recommend Mrs. Andrews for any family law issues. She was my attorney for over a year. In that time she was focused and diligent. Not once did any paperwork get rejected for clerical ...”

    - Chad
  • Review of Tiffany Andrews

    “Very responsible and professional lawyer in my opinion. Represented me well and got me what I wanted. As well, provided me with good solid solutions for my situation and gave sound advice. Highly ...”

    - George
  • Hard Working

    “Ms. Andrews did a lot of research on issues she was not clear so that she would be able to provide accurate information and advice. She worked diligently on my case, while my ex's attorney was playing ...”

    - Previous Client
  • Dedicated and Professional

    “Ms.Andrews represented My husband and I for a very emotional child custody case in early 2010. She was professional, prepared and most importantly fought for our side to be heard by all parties ...”

    - Previous Client

We're Passionate About Your Future

  • 2015 Certified Family Law Specialist, State Bar of CA, Board of Legal Specialization
  • 2011 Certified Welfare Law Specialist by NACC, Accredited by the CA State Bar Board of Legal Specialization
  • Active in the Local Community
  • Involved in the State Legislative Process
Legal Resources

Find the information you're looking for about your case.